Memorial Day, the unofficial kick-off to the summer, is just around the corner and for many that means vacation-time. We rarely leave our smartphones, tablets, and laptops at home when we go on a trip. 74% of people get anxious about leaving their phones home when they go out anywhere, even to the grocery store. How are you going to post all those vacation shots on social media if you don’t have your device with you? Your electronics are at higher risk when you take them on a trip. Everyone is focusing on seeing the sights and doing vacation stuff. It’s easy for a thief to grab a tablet or laptop off a table that you left “just for a minute.” All that free Wi-Fi is awesome, it’s also a prime place for hackers to hide. Free hotspots in tourist areas are prime hangouts for cyber criminals who spy on your online activities. You know that family vacation photo you finally just got right? That too may be out there for the world to steal because you connected to free Wi-Fi to save it to your cloud drive.
Stop making common mistakes and get your devices ready the right way.
Here are some tips on device prep before your next trip:
· Sign up for a VPN and use it to secure your Wi-Fi Connection
· Buy charge-only USB cables to avoid “juice jacking”
· Put a screen lock on all devices
· Enable “Find My Device” on electronics
· Pack electronics in proper cushioning
· Update device software & make sure they have anti-malware
· Bring the number of your local IT shop for emergencies
Don’t let a hacker or thief ruin your fun.